Monday, February 8, 2010

Siesta Spirituality

Jesus took with him Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. (Luke 9: 28)

A windstorm arose on the sea, so great that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but Jesus was asleep. (Matthew 8: 24)

My prayer-life isn’t exactly what you would call exemplary. I work full time, take care of a house and a family, including two dogs, and even find time to fit in a few hobbies. Quiet time spent alone with God comes at a premium. Sometimes I wonder how people ever find time to pray.

Prayer, especially in our busy lives, is important. Prayer is the way that we maintain our relationship with God. In this week’s scripture reading, Jesus reminds us of the importance of prayer. He takes his disciples up to the top of a mountain specifically to pray. Wouldn’t it be great if Jesus would come around once in a while and take us with him to pray? He would certainly hold us accountable.

What is a good prayer life? How do we pray correctly? Do we have to be kneeling alone, silently, for an hour in a dimly lit room? In a little book called Pray All Ways, Edward Hays reminds us that prayer is not an event but a way of living our lives. He teaches that “Jesus has not called all his followers to abandon all other activities of family, life and work to continually and solely engage in … times of prayer… The different activities of our daily lives are not distractions from prayer, but rather the rich soil for prayer.” (p. 14, 15)

Some of the chapters in Hays’ book are entitled, “How to pray with our feet,” and “Feasting as prayer.” My favorite, however, is one of the last chapters, called “The prayer of napping.”

Napping has always been one of my guilty pleasures. When I’m at home for the day, I usually lie down for an afternoon siesta around 2 o’clock. Even on working days, I manage to close my eyes for a few minutes when I get home before I start preparations for the evening’s meal and activities.

Hays reminded me that even Jesus had to rest in order to be refreshed for his work. The story of Jesus stilling the storm (Mark 4: 35-40) shows us “an interesting and unusual form of prayer. Interesting and important for us is the experience we find there: Jesus engaged in the prayer of napping!” (p. 197)

We have to take care of things in our lives, but we also have to stop and allow God to take care of us. When we sleep, we are letting go of everything – especially control – and trusting that God will take over. We are allowing God to take over.

Hayes writes, “as zealous Christians, should we not be ‘on our toes,’ alert, awake, and busy? For who wants to be caught napping, which is a sure sign of carelessness? But wasn’t Jesus caught napping that afternoon on the lake? He was, to put it plainly, careless. To be careless is to be care-less, to be without care or anxiety. He was a casual and relaxed rabbi-teacher who was well aware that not he, but the Father was in control of the universe. That state of awareness is prayer. It is a way of facing the Mystery. Since God was in charge, why worry and be upset with undue care, for he and his friends were held in God’s love which would shield them from all evil.” (p, 199-200)

A Prayer for Nap Time
(or for any time when we desire to be “out- of- control” or to do “nothing-of profit”)

Well, Lord, it’s not yet time to quit – all around me life is buzzing. Nevertheless, I need to let go of being busy and, at times, just to relax. May each nap time be a sacrament for me, giving me the grace to be aware that you are able to use stones to praise you and to raise up your kingdom. My time of doing nothing – of letting go – remind me that it is you, my God, who is bringing about the kingdom, and that the more I can let you do it – especially in the midst of my greatest efforts – the more beautifully and gracefully the age of justice and peace can come in this tired world.

Show me that if I can let go of trying to control people, events, and especially my futile attempts at controlling you, holiness will flow to me more quickly and surely. May each short time of leisure renew my spirit, fill my heart with insights and restore my body. As your Son, Jesus, let go of his cares and fell asleep in the story-tossed boat, may I now let go of my cares and rest in you, my beloved God and ever-vigilant lover. Amen. (Hayes, p. 207-08)

Hayes, Edward Pray All Ways Forest of Peace, Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, IN, 1981, 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment