Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (Philippians 4:6)

Your will be done… (Matthew 6:10)

When I was still a seminary student, my friend’s 6 week old son became very ill. For weeks, this little tiny boy was in the hospital, hooked up to machines and tubes, fighting for his life. I will never forget, during one visit to the pediatric ICU, praying together with an older pastor and my friend. The pastor prayed words that made me wonder about God’s will and our will. The pastor prayed, “God, we pray for healing, but if that is not your will, we ask for strength and acceptance.”

I’m not sure if I’m remembering the exact words of the prayer, but I remember wondering how we should pray in such a situation. And so I went back to the seminary that afternoon and asked one of my professors what he would have done. He said something similar to what Paul told the Philippians. He said we should pray like crazy for what we wish and hope for. We should let all of our requests be made known to God. God will guide us and strengthen us along the way, no matter what happens.

Eleven years later, my friend’s son is wonderful, healthy and happy and strong. God answered our prayers for healing, and God also answered our prayers for strength. It isn’t God’s will for us to suffer but suffering happens anyway. God’s will is that we “pray always and not lose heart.” (Luke 18:1)

So pray like crazy. About anything and everything. Let your requests be made known to God, then listen. God will show you what to do.

Prayer for today

Listening and loving God, thank you for hearing everything that I say, and knowing everything that I need. Help me to feel your guidance, and to remember that my strength comes from you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment