Monday, March 30, 2009

My friends, if anyone is detected in a transgression, you who have received the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness. Take care that you yourselves are not tempted. Galatians 6:1

Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Matthew 6:12

I’ve had a lot of practice forgiving since I have become the parent of teenagers. My 18 year old son and 16 year old daughter are wonderful people, but I have to remind myself of that at one a.m. on Saturday night when I should be sleeping, getting my rest for church on Sunday morning, but instead I’m pacing the floor and wondering where they could be – late again.

It’s a small but real example of my parenting challenges and frustrations. You can probably think of your own, or maybe you can remember the nights when you caused your own parents to worry when you were growing up.

My children don’t always apologize right away when they have done something that I think is irresponsible or disrespectful. Sometimes, they get mad at me, thinking that I am mean or too strict or I don’t understand them. We might argue and fight – but so far, we have always made up, come to some sort of understanding, and eventually apologized to each other, and forgiven each other for any transgressions, any disrespect shown or angry words spoken.

I am thankful that, with the example of God’s love in Jesus, we learn, and we live in an environment of unconditional love, first from God, and then in our family. Without that divine love in our lives, how could we ever do it?

Prayer for today

God, thank you for your spirit of gentleness on our lives that helps us to forgive each other as you have forgiven us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment